Cloud migration is a common term we hear nowadays. But what exactly does that mean? Well, cloud migration is the moving of digital businesses, the software, the operations, the IT processes from one server location to another. It is almost similar to the movement of physical goods. In the case of cloud migration, the processes are migrated to the server on the internet. That means you do not need to have a physical system to run your applications. Everything is managed over the internet and remotely and there is much convenience and affordability with this option.
You do not need to manage anything. Instead, the cloud server will handle everything, and all the supporting elements like software, applications, etc will be installed on the cloud server. It requires effort to move to the cloud, but the effort is worth it. It is like moving from a small office to a larger one. There are many advantages for cloud migration including reduced cost and increased flexibility to name a few. Also, cloud migration can be from one cloud to another cloud.
The Main Benefits of Migrating to the Cloud
Cloud migration can offer many benefits to businesses. The process is used by companies and websites to make their functioning more effective and convenient. Here are the main benefits of moving to the cloud.
- Scalability – Cloud migration is best to support huge workloads and also supports many numbers of users than physical servers. If a company needs to increase its workloads it has to put up physical servers with additional space. With cloud computing, the company gets huge workloads easily done, and also any number of users can interact with the system efficiently.
- Cost – Moving to the cloud is very cost-effective since the cloud providers handle all the maintenance and updates. The company can concentrate on its core processes and try ways of improving them. This would not be the case if the server is physical. There would be a lot of attention needed to take care of the servers and their functioning. All this time can be saved by moving to the cloud.
- Performance – For certain businesses moving to the cloud will help in increasing their performance. If they use a physical server in their surroundings, then it will take more time for the data to reach the end-user. Instead, if they have a cloud server, the data transmission will be fast because there are different data centers in different parts of the world.
- Flexibility – Users of the cloud server can access the data from anywhere in the world, whether they be the employees or the customers of the company. This makes it easy for the company to expand its operations to international arenas and to interact with customers more effectively.
How Does Migration Work from On-Premises to Cloud?
Every company has its own needs and interests. So, cloud migration works differently for each. Cloud providers can assist and help businesses to set up their migration process. The basic steps involved in cloud migration are:
- Establish Goals – The first step is to establish the outcomes that a business intends to achieve through migration. This makes it easy for the business to analyze whether the desired result will be achieved or not.
- Creating a Security Strategy – Cloud security is different from on-premise security. As is the case, there are chances for cybersecurity threats to come on the way. For cloud migration, a cloud firewall and a web application would be mandatory.
- Copying Over Data – This step involves selecting a cloud provider and duplicating the existing databases. This has to be done throughput to makes sure that the cloud database is up to date and ready.
- Moving Business Intelligence – This step involves rewriting the code. This can be done all at once or through a step-by-step process. The experts in rewriting the code will do the job when you give the work to a well-reputed company.
- Switching from On-premises to Cloud – The cloud migration process is complete and the cloud is live now. You can sit back and relax and see how everything works.
The Main Concerns for Migrating to the Cloud
- Migrating large databases – The databases will need to be transferred to the cloud for migration to happen. If the database is very large, then the transfer can be a difficult process. It takes time to transfer the whole data over the internet. Some cloud providers offer the facility of physical transmission of data. In this case, the data is loaded into a hardware appliance and often shipped to a specific location. Keep in mind that this is for large databases and in normal cases, this would not be needed.
- Data Integrity – When the data is being transferred, the main check should be to make sure that the data is secure and is not leaked along the way. There can be chances that the data is broken or leaked. Hence utmost care is needed to make sure that everything is safe and sound.
- Continued Operation – The business should make sure that the current system is intact and secure while moving the database. Usually, a copy is made on the server, before the database is shut down. This helps the current system to work smoothly.
Cloud migration is the process of transferring the digital business or application to the cloud server. Usually, businesses operate with a physical server on a premise. Cloud migration has many advantages that will help a business to be cost-effective and efficient. Usually, you will need the help of an expert company to do the cloud migration for you. There are several cloud migration providers available and you need to choose the best ones. Businesses and companies are identifying the potential and benefits of migrating to the cloud and are showing an increased interest in the area. As a company, Cloud Synergy is expertise in the area of cloud migration and will help you in the process of moving your database to the cloud.